FDI Partnership: promoting oral health during cancer treatment
DID YOU KNOW?
It is estimated that more than 30-35% of patients undergoing cancer treatment will suffer from painful mouth conditions – like mouth ulcers, dry mouth, and oral bleeding – as side effects of those treatments. Working with FDI World Dental Federation, we are committed to promote effective management of oral health before, during and after treatment. We aim to help patients cope with the side effects and support them in their journey to wellness.
Partnering with FDI
FDI World Dental Federation represents over one million dentists. Its mission is to improve the oral health of people all over the world. We have a shared commitment: to help ensure that oral health is recognised as an essential part of general health and wellbeing.
Oral health and cancer: collaborative care and patient education
We’re collaborating with FDI on a project to promote the effective management of oral health before, during and after cancer treatment, which is crucial to helping improve patients’ wellbeing. Working in partnership, we aim to help improve the oral health of more people with cancer, more effectively.
Our aim: To improve the integration of oral healthcare into cancer care.
How will we achieve this?
- By enhancing collaboration between oral health professionals and health professionals involved in cancer care through inter-professional education
- By empowering patients with cancer to improve their oral hygiene, through educational resources.
FDI EXPERT PANEL
A panel of highly respected specialists will shape the content and structure of both the resources and the programmes being developed over the coming years. Together they bring an invaluable body of experience and knowledge.
The expert panel
- Prof. Ihsane Ben Yahya (FDI President-elect)
- Prof. Jean-Christophe Fricain (Professor of Oral Cancer and Surgery, University of Bordeuax)
- Prof. Mark Lingen (Professor of Oral Pathology, University of Chicago)
- Dr. Riccardo Caccialanza (Director of Clinical Nutrition, IRCCS Foundation National Cancer Institute, Italy)
- Prof. Paulo Bossi (Associate Professor of Medical Oncology, University of Brescia)
- Dr Barry Quinn (Senior Lecturer in Team-based Clinical Education, King’s College London; President, IADR Education Research Group)
- Prof. Sana Bensouda (Professor of Higher Education, University Hasan II Casablanca)
Educational modules for professionals
The project’s core education module is designed to meet the requirements of all healthcare professionals and includes information about the oral health impacts of cancer treatment and how to prevent or care for them, when the conditions arise, and how to best facilitate collaborative care.
Sub-modules will give detailed oral care guidance relevant to specific audiences: i.e. oncologists, oral health nurses, palliative carers and surgeons.
Leaflets for patients
The project also aims to provide useful information to patients undergoing cancer treatments, or those who care for the patients. Materials will be developed by Zendium and the first leaflet in the series, which aims to help parents support the vulnerable mouths of children, is already available.